BUMP CITY CREW FROM OAKLAND HEADS TO WATTS!

San Francisco, CA- With roughly 20 albums of "original" Tower Of Power music to choose from, you'd think my selecting "Pedro's Song of The Month" would be a breeze. Well, it isn't! Much like "The Rockford Files" of 70s TV fame when James Garner opened each show with a answering machine message, Mr. Garner ran out of answering machine ideas after about six episodes, thus he put the onus on everybody involved with the production but himself to come up with an opening for each episode.

YOU KNOW THE MONTHLY ROUTINE HERE

The concept here is to bring you to the various sounds of Tower of Power, some of which you might not have heard. Being a huge fan of the "Great American Soulbook," a 2009 Tower album that after debuting at #3, spent 19 weeks in the Billboard Magazine "Jazz" Charts. GASB is an album long in the making as bandleader Emilio Castillo had for years thought about producing an album of classic soul songs from the 60s and 70s.

STRAIGHT FROM BUMP CITY TO LOVELAND!

This song came to life in 1970 when Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band pushed the tune to a lofty position on the Billboard charts. Over the years the song would be played on rock as well as R & B stations. The TOP version that you are about to listen to is lead singer Larry Braggs sans any background singers, just being "LB" as the band turns an epic tune into a TOP classic! Of the songs I appreciate the most from the GASB, Me & Mrs. Jones, the Billy Paul original, a Tavares tune and Loveland are my favorites.

GREAT AMERICAN SOULBOOK TUNES

1. You Met Your Match, 2. I Thank You (with Sir Tom Jones), 3. Loveland, 4. It Takes Two (with Joss Stone), 5. Me And Mrs. Jones, 6. Startime (Tribute to James Brown), 7. Mr. Pitiful (Sam Moore), 8. Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel, 9. Since You've Been Gone, 10. (Heaven Must Have Sent) Your Precious Love (with Joss Stone), 11. 634-5789 (with Huey Lewis), 12. Who Is He And What Is He To You.

TOWER OF POWER "LINEUP" FOR GREAT AMERICAN SOULBOOK

Larry Braggs on lead vocals, Emilio Castillo (tenor sax/vocals), Stephen "Doc" Kupka (baritone sax), Bass king Rocco Prestia, Hall of Fame drummer David Garibaldi, Mike Bogart (brass/vocals), Adolpho Acosta (brass/vocals), Bruce Conte (guitar/vocals), Roger Smith (keyboards/vocals), Tom E. Politzer (lead tenor sax/vocals).

HIT THE LINK, LISTEN & LEAVE YOUR TWO CENTS!

You can hit the following link and listen to Loveland, Tower of Power style. Feel free to leave your comments below. See you in July click here. http://www.towerofpower.com/mp3s/loveland.mp3

Pedro Fernandez

Edited 4 times by ricklennybowes Jun 19 13 8:51 PM.